Merrion Square Park is one of the finest and most intact examples of Georgian urban design in Dublin city. The construction of the Georgian houses at Merrion Square began in 1762 and continued for 30 years.
Merrion Square soon became a fashionable address for the aristocracy and the professional classes. Oscar Wilde, WB Yeats, George Russell and Daniel O’Connell all called the square home at one point.
The park was purchased from the Pembroke Estate by the Roman Catholic Church in 1930 as a site for a cathedral. However, this project never materialised and in 1974 the then Archbishop, Dermot Ryan, transferred the land to Dublin Corporation for use as a public park.
For more information on the history on this historic park download the Merrion Square Conservation Plan.
- Oscar Wilde Memorial (1997) by Danny Osborne
- An Dún Cuimhneacháin – National Memorial to Members of the Defence Forces Who Have Died in Service (2008) by Brian King
- Bernardo O’Higgins (1995) by Francisco Orellana Pavez
- Éire Memorial (1974) by Jerome Connor
- Mother and Child (1985) by Patrick Roe
- Tribute Head II (1975-76) by Elisabeth Frink – donated to Artists for Amnesty in 1982
- Joker’s Chair – Dermot Morgan Memorial (2002) by Catherine Greene
- Henry Grattan (1982) by Peter Grant
- Michael Collins (1990) by Dick Joynt
- George William Russell (1985) by Jerome Connor
- The Victims (installed in 1976) by Andrew O’Connor
- Art Trail
- Food Market
- Historic Interest